Brother’s history began in 1908 when the Yasui Sewing Machine Co. was established in Nagoya, Japan. In 1955, Brother International Corporation (US) was established as their first overseas sales affiliate.
In 1958 a European regional sales company was established in Dublin. The corporate name was finally changed to Brother Industries, Ltd. in 1962. Brother entered the printer market during its long association with Centronics.
In 1968 the company moved its UK headquarters to Audenshaw, Manchester, after acquiring the Jones Sewing Machine Company, a long established British sewing machine maker.